Star Party - Pedernales Falls State Park
The stars at night are big and bright! Come see them even better with expert and amateur astronomers alike! The Austin Astronomical Society will have multiple telescopes available to visitors at the Star Theater, you just have to bring your own chair! We are located far enough away from major light sources that we'll be able to see multiple planets, constellations and even the Milky Way (weather permitting). PLEASE READ BELOW:
- If you bring a flashlight, make sure it's a red light or has a red filter on it. Normal lights can mess up your natural night vision and interfere with the telescopes.
- Please no lights or cell phones once you enter the viewing area. Each time you look at your cell phone or a blueish light you lose your night vision for up to 40 minutes. This makes it very hard to see the stars even with a telescope!
- Dogs will NOT be allowed in the viewing area, but are allowed in the parking lot.
- No smoking in the viewing area. Smoking allowed in the parking lot.
- Many of the telescopes are owned and operated by these astronomers, so please don't touch the equipment unless it's OK with them. Walk on up to any of the scopes and ask what they're looking at! They'll all be happy to share.
- This event is weather permitting. If it's just cloudy we'll still be out there, but rain will force us to cancel the event. Look for updates on our Facebook page.
- Normal entrance fees apply to enter the park; no additional fees to attend the event. Pay your entrance fees and get your day pass from home!
- If arriving after 7 pm and paying with cash, exact change is required at the self-pay station at the Headquarters building.