MLK March and Festival
We will then march to the historic Huston-Tillotson University, where exciting activities are planned. All businesses, non-profit organizations and individuals are invited to march and celebrate Dr. King’s legacy.
** As standard during gubernatorial inauguration years, the march will not visit the Capitol this year due to preparations for the inauguration.
MLK COMMUNITY FESTIVAL
The MLK Community Festival kicks off at 11:15am and will last until 3:30 p.m.; it will include all types of vendors and local musical artists to make this year’s celebration the best ever! A vendor application can be downloaded for those interested in purchasing booth space. For questions and information, please contact Carol Wright by email or by telephone at (512) 657-3064.
SUPPORT THE CENTRAL TEXAS FOOD BANK
This year, we are asking marchers to help by donating can goods or non-perishable food items, which will be donated to the Central Texas Food Bank. Help to give to those in need by helping the Capital Area Food Bank fill their shelves with non-perishable food items. “True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring.” — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Donation receptacles will be available at The University of Texas and the Capitol, while the march is in those locations. Receptacles will also be available at the festival at Huston-Tillotson University.
Please follow these guidelines when considering what to donate:
- Healthy, non-perishable foods
- Items with intact, un-opened, consumer or commercial packaging
- Items with non-breakable packaging (no glass, please)
- Food within the expiration date on the packaging
- Food from your community or backyard garden
- Canned meats like tuna, stew, and chili (pop-tops preferred)
- Canned Vegetables
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Healthy cereals
- Peanut butter
CAPITAL METRO BUS SERVICE INFORMATION
Use Capital Metro’s online trip planner http://www.capmetro.org/planner/ or call the Go-Line at 512-474-1200 for information about routes and schedules.
FREE PARKING LOCATIONS
We sincerely thank the locations below for offering free parking on the morning and afternoon of the march and festival.
- State’s Visitors Garage (12th & San Jacinto St.)
- Disch-Falk Field (1300 E. MLK Blvd.)
- Kealing Middle School (1607 Pennsylvania Ave.)
- Holy Cross Catholic Church (1610 E. 11th)
- Blackshear Elementary (1712 E. 11th)
- Greater Mount Zion Baptist Church (1801 Pennsylvania Ave.)
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church (1206 E. 9th)
- Mt. Olive Baptist Church (1800 E. 11th)
Interested in securing a booth at the Community Festival immediately following the Annual Citywide MLK Community March & Rally? If so, you can find all of the relevant information by clicking here.